Thursday, May 6, 2010

One Day*

I love Jane Austen. I really do. But let's be real, her books have a lot of characters and some fancy words. I lose track, get frustrated and stop reading. I suppose it is only fair to say that I love the Hollywood interpretation of Jane Austen. I have watched Pride and Prejudice at least a dozen times. (Likely more given that I watched it 3 times last week.) The Matthew Macfadyen** version. Not that Colin Firth stuff. Man, I just get sucked in. Sometimes I watch the whole movie, other times I fast forward to the scenes between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy and my heart gets all fluttery. Oh Mr. Darcy, with all your stubbornness, oh and that big fat house. It is really good stuff. All packed into 127 mins. And I was watching P&P last week for the 3rd time, I remembered that I have never actually read that book. Being the P&P snob that I am, I was embarrassed. Then a strong determination overwhelmed me. I grabbed my copy (yes, I own it- but had never read it) and started whipping through the pages Marshall kid style. You had better believe that I finished that book. And I finished it in ONE day. I am not lying. I literally couldn't put it down. And yes, that is #7.

#7 of 20: Read Pride and Prejudice. (All of it. In a day.)

You will be happy to know that my all time favorite line from the movie is actually in the book. That's right. "A thousand times yes."


*Yes. I used the title of an Akon song. Well, really a Matisyahu song feat. Akon.
**May 14- Matthew Macfadyen in Robin Hood. I'm in.

3 comments:

  1. Totally feel the same way. I have tried reading it at least 3 times. I own it in 2 versions. It's tough, but you may have given me some motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH YOU HAD NEVER READ P&P AND I LET YOU BABYSIT MY KIDS?!?!??!?!?!!!!!!!!!!! good thing you have read it now. because you are still on the hook for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you're ever motivated to read P&P again, try Mr. Darcy's Diary. It's P&P in Darcy's words...

    ReplyDelete