Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Destiny

Dear Beyonce (or Ms. Fierce),

I like to think that we are friends. After all, you hang out with me when I get ready in the morning, you go with me to work, I hear you in my mall, I have spent the occasional Saturday night with you. You had me at Single Ladies. Ok ok... you had me at Baby Boy. I feel that we have a relationship where I can be open and honest with you. That being said, I think that it is time for us to have a little chat. Let me preface with this: I am not going to pretend that I am some master of lyrical interpretation. I really do struggle with poetry... I just don't get it. BUT....let's talk about Halo. Cute. Catchy. Sweet song. Video with a hot guy. What could I possibly have to complain about? Well, Beyonce, let me tell you. Why, oh WHY, does he have to be her 'saving grace'? Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that she is able to let her guard down and open herself up to another person. That is good. That is healthy. But there is great risk in putting ALL of your hope, faith and trust in another person. People fail. It is true. By our very nature, we were not designed to be everything to someone. I get really nervous when women expect for/ rely on/ wait for a man to swoop in and save them from, well, whatever they think they need to be saved from. That change need to come from within. I have personally seen too many friends use a man or woman in the context of a relationship to "save" them from whatever had them bound. I have even done it myself. And 9 times out of 10, I am left with a hole to be filled. It may be greater than before. It may be the same size, just a different void. Regardless, there is a hole. An emptiness. A longing.

Well Beyonce, here is where the theology kicks in. As the good Christian that I am, I know there is only 1 way to fill that hole. There is only 1 worthy of ALL of my hope, faith and trust. (And it isn't that hottie in your video.) But as the mediocre Christian that I am, I often forget that and live for that earth angel. The one that never can be nor never will be enough for me. I so quickly forget to put my hope in the things above. Girl, I feel ya. It isn't easy.

My dear friend, I beg of you please, do not fall victim to the Jerry McGuire "you complete me" syndrome. You are too good for that. Way too good.



4 comments:

  1. hmmmmm....I don't know what to post right now, so I will take a rain check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. M, you are one of my favorite bloggers. I love reading your stuff. Yay for blog-a-day May.

    ReplyDelete