Thursday, April 9, 2009

We got over it...

The story that I am about to share has great potential to embarass... With that little disclaimer, here goes! This past weekend, I headed up to Charleston to run the Cooper River Bridge Run. This was the first race that I ever completed and it is a special run for that reason AND the fact that I got to run it with my first running buddy ever! GB and I met when I was working at Wingate and one day we decided that we wanted to challenge ourselves to run over this little bridge...


That was the beginning of a great friendship, my love for running and a little crush that I have on a city called Charleston. But this story is not about me or GB and unfortunately I have promised not to disclose the name of the individual involved. She did, however, go to high school with me and go with us on our second experience of the CRBR. (People- I am a woman of my word- I am not sharing her name... but she is a counselor and lives in Tampa and has two super cute dogs and she is single, well sometimes.)

So what actually happened? Well, early Saturday morning (and I mean EARLY), the 4 of us runners headed to the race start... a bit grogging, but very excited to RUN (and dreaming of finishing in under 1 hour). The race starts and along with 37,000 of our closest friends, we take off! We are just running along, doing what we do, when unnamed friend says, "You all just go ahead, if I find a bathroom, I am going to stop." I remember thinking to myself that we were in the last mile....there is no way that she would find a bathroom until the finish... but not my problem.

As GB and I cross the finish line (at 1:00:10...ugh!), we head to the pre-designated meeting area (we are smart girls- for the most part) and wait for unnamed and her friend JJ to finish and find us. Well, unnamed finds us and immediately begins to share that while going up the bridge (note- at mile 2 of 6.1) she felt "the wave". You all know what I am talking about- don't even pretend you don't! (Cheetahs- you DEFINITELY know.) And from that point on... she honestly thought that she was, and I quote, "going to poop [her] pants!" She continues to tell us all of the ideas/ potential solutions that came to mind over the past 4 miles. Demonstrating to us all, that in moments of crisis, clear judgment will vanish! She considered asking a fireman/ paramedic on the bridge if they had somewhere for her to go.... (remember we are on a BRIDGE?!) She also debated using a local business to do her business...although on a Saturday morning, downtown, nothing is open. My personal favorite was when she saw a sign on the side of the road and thought, "If I poop my pants, I can wrap the sign around me and finish the race! Yeah!" (Because running with a sign around your waist is always a good back-up plan...)

Not to worry, she did not actually "poop [her] pants". Although it probably would have made for a better story....

The best part of this story is that she was recounting her experience in a public park with 37,000 people surrounding us.... using the expression "poop my pants" at least 58 times...

I'm still not sure why she didn't use that porta-potty at the end of the bridge...go figure!

A post-run picture of GB and me for everyone (all 2 of you) to enjoy....



3 comments:

  1. I am personally on the verge of tears! Apparently, you had to be there because Matt didn't find it as funny I did. I appreciate you keeping the identity a secret, but she is going to murder you when she reads this! This might become part of my very day route -- I miss this banter you do so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, i will never drive over that beautiful bridge again without thinking about "poop in my pants"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an update- unnamed friend has officially read this post and would like for my blog readership to know the following details:

    1. She did NOT poop her pants.
    2. She does has a BF and he is apparently waiting for her at an ice cream shop in Charleston sans shirt.

    ReplyDelete