Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Red+Blue

I am interrupting the "Ode to Customer Service" to bring you a tale from my week...

On Monday, I attended a screening for Purple State of Mind (thank you Lea) and I was reminded that Tallahassee DOES have cool stuff going on. Oh The Village Square, how I love thee! (1) I got to pose in a "red" and "blue" photograph with the most attractive Democrat that I know. Yes, that is you Ms. Vita. (2) I got to see one of my new favorite Tallahassee girls. Yes, Whitney that would be you and not just because you brought an orange into a movie theater... (3) I attempted to prove Dr. Systma WRONG!* (4) I viewed a film that definitely provoked my thoughts and heard first hand from the men who made it. Twenty-five years after they were college roommates, John Marks and Craig Detwiller, with such differing worldviews got together to have a series of conversations...and filmed them all for us to observe and experience. When John would challenge Craig with very pointed questions, (I'm talking..."Do YOU think that I am going to HELL?" type questions.) I couldn't help but wonder... How would I answer that question if a friend asked me? Do I even have any relationships with people where we can ask such pointed and challenging questions? What could I learn from someone if I was less afraid and brave enough to actually go there? Would there be a difference in the world- if we were able to engage in more dialogue for the sole purpose of wanting to know someone else and to understand why they think the way that they do and abandon all hidden agendas?
See these guys really are friends...they have on matching pants. Democrats and Republicans really can be friends...we both can agree on great leather totes.

Just look at how strong that bond is!


*Dr. Systma is a Christian Sex Therapist in Atlanta who does freelance work for me :) and conveniently was my friend Lea's neighbor when she lived in Atlanta... He is of the school of thought that if I am ever going to meet a man, I should probably spend less time with Lea and her family and more time in environments where there are men my age. Little does he know, but Lea and I are on a mission to prove him wrong. And I am happy to report that there were some attractive guys at the film screening on Monday. Granted I was too shy to talk to them...but they were there and that is half the battle! (Oh, and if any of my friends reading happen to know any of the above mentioned attractive fellas....have them call me...k thanks.)

1 comment:

  1. Meghan, you said..."What could I learn from someone if I was less afraid and brave enough to actually go there? Would there be a difference in the world- if we were able to engage in more dialogue for the sole purpose of wanting to know someone else and to understand why they think the way that they do and abandon all hidden agendas?"

    Great questions Meghan! We would all be richer in life if we had the courage and respect for ourselves and others to "go there". Of course, that kind of courage might have helped you to actually introduce yourself to those attractive men you were lucky enough to come across. :-) - Dr. Sytsma - http://IntimateMarriage.org

    ReplyDelete