Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I've got 99 problems, but this bridge ain't one....*


Ah, I just love Charleston. That little city just makes me smile. (And not because Lea's mother-in-law lives there...though it would make for interesting stories...) I have become quite fond of my annual Spring visit, even if my visit coincides with the visit of oh say, 40,000 other runners. As long as Glenda Bebber is one of them, I am good.

So, why is the Cooper River Bridge Run so special to me? Glad you asked. This was the first race that I had EVER run. It was a huge goal that Glenda and I sent our sights on a few years ago. Honestly, this race was the thing that really brought us together. All of those afternoon runs in Wingate, NC brought a shift in our relationship. We quickly transitioned from coworkers to friends. For us, SO many life decisions have been discussed out on the road. Something about the heat or the cold, the shortness of breath, and the sweat.... it just created a safe space. I love that even though we now live 550 miles apart, we still meet up.... just to run.

On Saturday, GB and I ran our 6th race together. It was simply lovely. Well, aside from the wind, the sweat and GB's snot rockets over the bridge- whoops...I said it. (Although, we all know I am not one for keeping other's secrets.)

Here's to next year! April 2, 2011, who's in?

*A Jay-Z reference every now and then never hurts.

1 comment:

  1. oh come on... she is good for dating tips and parking places. and she did raise a heck of a boy!

    ReplyDelete