Sunday, January 3, 2010

Back to reality.


Well, I am back in the 'hassee. Back from time in Tampa with the fam. Back from a rockin' New Year's Eve with my favorite noles. Back from a hypothermic bowl game, that I wouldn't have missed for the world. It really feels like the longest break ever. In reality, it was only 11 days. And here I am, back.

I love that we have new years and new months and new days. I really believe that God did that intentionally. Well, I believe that everything God does is intentional and purposeful. But this is one of my favorite things. When a day ends, it becomes the past. And we know that we cannot be chained by the past. We have the present and future. We, by nature, need a fresh start. A clean slate. The ability to do it better. I, by nature, need a fresh start.

I have been asked no less than 2 frillion times if I made a new year's resolution. Resolutions have never really been my thing. While I like having a new start and a clean slate, I am not a big fan of setting myself up for failure. I read that 40-45% of American adults make at least one resolution for the new year. And while most abandon it within three months, those who explicitly make resolutions are 10% more likely to achieve their goal. And 80% of all statistics are made up. So research aside, I have a plan for the year. 2010 will be my last full year in my 20s. ::gasp:: Can you believe that my parents are that old? They are. Do the math.

Since it is my last year in my 20s. I will commit to doing 20 new things this year. Things that I have never done before (and may never do again). I will blog about those 20 things- don't you worry. I don't know what they will be or when they will happen. But they will. And they will be awesome. How do I know? Well, I believe that you learn something of value through all of your experiences. So here is to a year of adventure. And learning!

Because I am one for parameters. Here are a few. Included in the 20 newbies will be an act of service, a visit to a new city, an artistic/creative challenge, and a physical challenge.

Stay tuned for live reports from the 20 of 2010. (Well, I doubt they will actually be live, but stay tuned nonetheless.)

1 comment:

  1. A recommedation for one of your "new things": www.the3day.org. Jenn Latino and I walked in '09 and would LOVE to have you as a team member in '10!! Let me know if you are interested! It was AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete