Monday, July 6, 2009

Let freedom ring...

When I was living in North Carolina, some of my favorite people there were starting a church from the ground up. And in the forming process came a lot of brain storming. One of the creative debates was naming this church. In those initial stages, this is the little suggestion that stuck:

"So I was looking in the paper at church names... I think that we should be called The Church of Your Choice... I mean, think of all the free advertising... At the top of the page it says... Go to the church of your choice!"

This past weekend provided the opportunity for me to pause and reflect on the liberties and freedoms that our nation prides itself on.... And I believe the one most taken for granted is the Freedom of Religion. (At least by me.) I am free to go to the church of my choice every single Sunday or Saturday or Tuesday or third Wednesday. No one stops me from practing my religion and exercising my faith... except for ME. Why would I choose willingly not to exercise this right? A right that not every global citizen has.
My "I'm too tired", "I'm out of town", "I don't have anything wear" type excuses carrying absolutely no credence. Oh to be reminded as I am trekking (yes, that College Ave hill is a trek in my 4" heels) it to the "church of my choice" that it is indeed a freedom and a privilege. And to whom much is given, much is required.

You're the God of this city
You're the King of these people
You're the Lord of this nation
You are

You're the light in this darkness
You're the hope to the hopeless
You're the peace to the restless
You are
There is no one like our God
There is no one like our God

Greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done
In this city

No comments:

Post a Comment