Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Oh yes...

It is official. I think that I have a new crush. (Not that Andy Merrick and Dwight Howard have to worry. I still have a special place in my heart for both of them.)

But, please, let me introduce the newbie. At this point, many of you have heard of Kevin Roose and his little book, The Unlikely Disciple. As a student at Brown University, Kev (can I call you Kev?) decided that he wanted to fully immerse himself into a sociological study and convinced his his family to let him enroll for a semester at Liberty University. Oh yeah. It's true.

Here is what I appreciate about Kevin:

1. He made a bold move- lead by his own curiosity. Born into a liberal Quaker family- this free-spirited, fair-trade coffee drinking, anti-war protesting Brown student decided that after a visit to Thomas Road Baptist Church with A.J. Jacobs (while doing research for The Year of Living Biblically) that he wanted to see more. To understand what it really meant to "go to Liberty", he decided to enroll. The boldest move I have ever made in my life might have been moving to Wingate, NC. (And really, like that was a stretch? Hey Meghan- way to surround yourself with an upper middle class, southern, white, Billy Graham loving population. Glad you went out on a limb there.) Oh Dane, if you are reading, I really said Quaker- go to Borders now... Get a copy...Don't stop!

2. He gave it a fair chance. When something seemed crazy or unsettling. He went deeper. He longed to know and to understand. He joined Bible studies, had regular meetings with professors, played intramurals, sang in the choir and dated Liberty gals. Above all, he was open to Liberty changing him. His way of thinking, his perspective. He was open. (Even to The Liberty Way.... a 46 page Code of Conduct that even makes me cringe. Enough said.)

3. He hasn't abandoned ship. It would be easy to say that he is done. He, after all, has the last print interview with Jerry Falwell... who wouldn't hang up their hat? And his book is now published (and it is no longer banned from Liberty's bookstore). What more is there? But Kev is continually involved in understanding evangelical culture. Namely at Liberty. He is continually seeking the common ground. (To The Village Square would be so proud- Hey Liz- Could we bring him to town?)

Oh Kev, thank you. Thank you for sharing. You combined all of my interests into one little hardback copy. Faith, evangelicalness, coffee, and college students. Yes. And for the record, I agree, 100%, 'fellowship' is code for awkward flirting. And for the record, I am SO good at fellowship.

4 comments:

  1. can i borrow that book? and i think i need to work on our marshall family code of conduct... it is only 37 pages....

    ReplyDelete
  2. a little birdy whispered in my ear (tweet, lea, tweet) and I've already sent an email to his publicity contact. He would have been right up our budget alley before his npr interview, cross your fingers we can still afford him after...

    ReplyDelete
  3. lea- absolutely... it is time to beef up that code.. you have teenagers!

    the village square- all of my fingers and toes are crossed... and in the event that he comes to town, I know someone who would be thrilled to play hostess...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hostess... with the mostest...

    ReplyDelete