Thursday, May 28, 2009

I love lunch

I always have and always will.

And at one point in my life, I didn't eat lunch at my desk. I actually took a lunch every single day. Some days I was even gone for 2 hours. Or the rare but oh so delightful all day lunch. What made those lunches so enjoyable? It was the people. My lunch crew. Monday-Friday from 11:30-? we could be found in The Caf. What? You have never heard of "The Caf"? Well then, you must not be from Wingate University.

Because if you have been to Wingate University, you would know that the place to be at lunch is the W.T. Harris Dining Hall (also known as The Caf). And the best day to be there is Wednesday. Oh, how I miss fried chicken Wednesdays.

Well, our little lunch crew formed when these two lovely ladies decided....

that they should eat lunch with these guys....
well, not ALL of them.... just suits #1, #2, #5 (L-R).

That one little lunch meeting morphed into a full year of daily lunches. The five of us found that while we all came from very different backgrounds (from the son of an NBA coach to the daughter of a single mother, from New England to Florida), we all had a lot in common and really enjoyed spending time together. We quickly learned that if you gave Gray chocolate cake, he would say whatever was on his mind (appropriate or not). We teased Dunn about all of his girlfriends. We talked sports, politics, fashion, and a LOT of pop culture. The students knew that the table in the far right corner by the windows (and dessert table) was ours. And without fail we were there every day. We were all together the day that Stacey announced she was having a baby and we spent the following months coming up with fake baby names. Lil' Andre never really took off.

One of my favorite lunch crew moments was when Gray proposed that everyone in the group have nicknames. And the immediately proclaimed himself "the sexy one". Oh how I miss that confidence!

I also secretly love that in the ONLY picture that I have of Stacey and me, I am wearing an outfit that the fellas totally mocked.... Oh and to the blog world, Stacey is preggo in that pic... she isn't fat...

The lunch crew dissolved in the spring of 2007 when Stacey, Dunn and Gray left the university. Clearly, Dooley and I couldn't make it without them, as we both left the following year.

Dear lunch crew,

I propose a reunion. Say Wingate Homecoming 2009?

Miss you,
Laptop

No comments:

Post a Comment